Injuries are a risk for anyone participating in physical activities. The majority of sport injuries occur to the muscles, ligaments and tendons. Here are some tips to remember when trying to prevent/avoid the risk of injury:
- Use the proper techniques within your sport. This will help you avoid putting your body in the wrong position and reduce chance of injury.
- Increase your overall flexibility. Stretching both before and after enduring in sport activities will increase your flexibility. This should become a habit in your daily routine.
- Increase your muscle strength. Conditioning exercises will help build muscle that will allow the body to endure more physical strain.
- Don’t over do it. At least once a week, you should take a day off to allow your body to recover and rest.
- Know the rules. Playing safely and within the guidelines of the sport will prevent unnecessary injuries to athletes.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Heat-related injuries such as dehydration and heat strokes are serious concerns for athletes everywhere. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after enduring it physical activities (especially in high temperature/humidity environments).